ssk – About us
ssk – Seminar für Sprache und Kultur (Seminar for Language and Culture) offers courses for those whose daily work requires them to cross linguistic and cultural boundaries, whether at home or abroad.
They are designed for:
- linguists and Bible translators preparing to work with languages that have never been analysed or reduced to writing
- Christian workers who need to learn a foreign language for cross-cultural ministry
- others who want to learn a language for professional or private purposes
- volunteers who want to work with refugees or immigrants
These courses are mostly taught during the summer months. The language of instruction is German. In addition, ssk offers Prinicples of Language Survey, taught in English during the winter. This course prepares students for work as language assessment specialists and is a component of SIL’s more advanced course offerings (see below).
European Training Network
The basic courses offered at ssk lay the foundation for advanced study at other training centres accredited by SIL International, such as the School of Language and Scripture (SLS) at Moorlands College in the UK. The advanced courses prepare students to work in the field of language development and can be taken as part of an MA programme. Subjects offered include community engagement, linguistic analysis, literacy and Scripture engagement.
Our expertise lies:
- in imparting methods for effective language-learning and tools for analysing unwritten languages
- in training qualified workers to participate in literacy and Bible translation programmes
- in developing awareness and understanding of foreign cultures